In 1167 St Felix played host to the first and only Cathar Council which drew attendees from the whole of Europe, Nicetas bishop of Constantinople was called a bogomil by the Orthodox faith but he, without doubt held the same faith as those in Occitan who were known Cathars.
During the following weeks Nicetas led those assembled in St Felix to establish a system of dioceses which mirrored the organisation of the Church of Rome, although the “bishops” of the dioceses, where more like co-ordinators, shunning the trappings of power, the elaborate vestments, and the impressive churches.
The Church of Rome was threatened by the council of St Felix. Up until this time, the Cathars lacked co-ordination. It was decided that the Cathars must be eliminated and this eventually led to the genocide of the Albigensian Crusade.
After the crusade the Church of Rome built cathedrals in every Cathar Stronghold, including St Felix. there could hardly be a bigger contrast between the cathedral and the simple house where the Cathar council met.
The Black Prince visited St Felix de Lauragais hoping to visit the Cathar meeting place, but in 1355 the citizens of St Felix refused to allow him to enter the town.